- St. Vincent Martyr School
- Grade 8 News
Grade 8 News
Important 8th Grade Updates Regarding Scholarship Opportunities and "High School Shirt" Picture
Two Scholarship Opportunitues
1. The James & Catherine DePalma Scholarship
Background and Purpose:
This Scholarship was established in 2011 in memory of James and Catherine DePalma who were life long members of St. Vincent Martyr Church. Their son and daughter are alumni of St. Vincent Martyr School and will serve as the Selection Committee for this award.
The purpose of the Scholarship is to provide support for a SVMS graduate who has recognized the importance of the strong foundation provided by a Catholic education and who will attend a Catholic high school in the fall. In the spirit of carrying forward the values of kindness and generosity, a $2000 Award will be granted toward the recipient’s tuition for next year.
The recipient of the Scholarship will be announced at the SVMS Graduation.
Application Process and Criteria:
• The applicant will kindly submit a 500 word essay describing what Catholic education has meant to him/her spiritually, academically and emotionally
• The applicant will kindly submit a brief cover letter which may serve as an introduction; here the applicant may choose to share biographical information regarding his/her family, personality, character traits, interests, and/or any thoughts the applicant would like to share
• The applicant will show evidence of academic achievement and kindly provide a copy of his/her latest report card
• All of the above requirements should be handed in to the SVMS office in a sealed envelope marked James and Catherine DePalma Scholarship by Friday, May 17, 2019.
2. Aesthetic Dentistry of Bernardsville Scholarship Award
With gratitude to SVMS for providing a wonderful education for her three children, in a nurturing and positive environment Dr. Patti Swaintek-Lamb started an annual scholarship in the amount of $1,500.00 to the student that best appreciates their Catholic education, will continue their Catholic education in high school and incorporates service into their daily life.
Your essay must be submitted by Tuesday, May 28th without your name mentioned anywhere throughout your essay. You are to submit it tMiss Gisoldi in an enclosed envelope without anything written on the envelope. Miss Gisoldi will number your envelope when received and coordinate a list with your name matching the number on the envelope. The family selects the recipient anonymously and it will be presented at graduation.
Include where you are going to high school in your essay.
Any questions about these scholarships, please feel free to contact Miss Gisoldi.
Picture of Students in high school T-shirt/Sweatshirt
WEDNESDAY, May 22nd (after mass)
We are going to take a picture of all the 8th graders with their high school t-shirt or sweatshirts. This has become a wonderful SVMS tradition.
The picture will be taken next Wednesday, May 22nd - right after mass on the stage in the gym. Students should wear their usual uniform and bring sweatshirt or t-shirt with them to put on for the picture. It will be a quick picture session, so the students can get back to the class room for their normal clas schedule.
If you are having a problem getting a shirt or sweatshirt to wear before next Wednesday, please reach out to Colleen O'Reilly, so we can make sure all have what they need when we take the picture.